To the Empath being in harmony with people in life is essential to their health and wellbeing. Toxic friendships can cause untold pain and damage to the Sensitive one.
If there are people in your life who cause you any kind of emotional pain, which lasts long after you’ve left them, it may be time to evaluate the relationship and perhaps release them for your life.
Before we can really help or be of service to others we have to find balance within and that means taking care of our physical and mental needs and stop exposing ourselves to that which is toxic, in the form of food, substances and people.
Typical sensations which can be felt by being with toxic people:
- Anger or feelings of bitterness embodying you: This can last for the duration of being in their presence and up to 10 days after. Depending on the negative traits they carry will depend on what you feel.
- Fatigue: Struggling to keep your eyes open, especially if they are venting.
- Being out of sorts: A range of strange feelings wash over you, from being spaced out, to nausea.
- Negative talk: Finding yourself talking negatively of others, even though it is not a typical trait of yours. Overly toxic people can easily lure the unvigilant Empath into their judgmental behavior.
- Apathy: Losing all previous zest and optimism.
A toxic friend will probably be a family member or lifelong friend and because of this you have a natural fear of letting them go, not least because you probably love them. Chances are, you have already tried helping them by sharing what has helped you, in dealing with the rigors of life. Sadly, they do not want to hear or listen to what you have to say about any kind of self-help, preferring to offload their negative rants on you. You may have also tried getting them to see situations from different perspectives, hoping they may recognize that by changing their attitude and outlook, it would change their whole life…to no avail.